Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bug talk with grandkids

 We were talking about a bug I found  in the living room.  A  ‘red alert’ I sounded , on discovery of beetle-like bug crawling on floor, brought Sidharth and Nikhil scurrying in from their play-room to size up the situation. Snag was none of us had it in us to confront   the  alien creature. Grandma, the only trained bug-killer   in  our household was upstairs taking a bath. 
My efforts to trap the bug in a ‘Whole Foods’ shopping bag  didn’t work;  what’s worse, the runaway bug  sprinted across the floor to take cover under the sofa, where, presumably,  it  was still staying,  till the next morning  when we reviewed the bug-in-living-room situation at breakfast table.
 Reviewing the prospects of tracking it down, Nikhil held  the bug could still be hiding under sofa, camouflaged in the carpet. Was surprised   at his use of the word ‘camouflaged’.  i hadn't heard  a four-year old using the word.  Asked if he knew what it meant, and where from he picked it up  Nikhil mentioned his school, and went on to  explain what the word meant. But I couldn’t catch what he Said  -  my grandsons often flux me with their  accent . Translating   Nikhil’s language for me elder brother Sidharth, 6 plus, said  ‘camouflage   means blending in’.
Did they teach such words at   their  Montessori ? Sidharth said they got it from  Wild Kratts, a TV serial       

1 comment:

Gowri Mohanakrishnan said...

I'm enjoying these posts!! 'Camouflage'?! 'Blening in'?! !!! This generation certainly has a lot to teach us, bless them!