Monday, July 16, 2012

Inside a hurricane simulator


They watched  a  three-minute video clip of a recent storm, shot and uploaded by my blogger friend in Ohio.  A few days  later  we were at the Pleasanton Mall, where  Sidharth and Nikhil got  a ‘feel’ of it   in a ‘hurricane simulator’.  The simulator is fitted in a kiosk, of the size of a phone booth. Step inside, slip in a coin, and you are put through a ‘hurricane ‘ for a couple of minutes. If you want more of it, you need to put in some more coins.  Those who have turned  such ‘hurricane experience’ into a business model have placed simulators in over 300 malls and games arcades. 

I wonder what my blogger friend who has been through the disaster in Ohio thinks about  making a plaything  of  'hurrican experience'. As someone put it in a blogpost, ‘ I’m not sure if it’s just the cynic in me, but I find this somewhat disturbing and I can only imagine that if I had experienced a hurricane first-hand I might find this simulator booth somewhat offensive’.    

No comments: